Thursday, May 5, 2011

Night #3: What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

We knew we would have some challenges last night. Two of the hardest pieces to remove: the cabinet with the stove top in it and the cabinet with the oven in it. We had to first turn off the gas to each. Turns out, in 1964 they didn't put levers on the shut offs so instead you have to use all of your might on a little nubbin and try to get it perpendicular. Okay, so we figured that part out. I guess since all of the pipes have been screwed together for 40+ years they don't want to be separated, ever. We had to get crafty. To save any of you from worrying I won't go into full details but let's just say we got the appliances out and we didn't blow up our home or even get light headed.
Recall what we started with. You can see the oven in the back left corner and the stove top in the front right corner.
GONE!

More progress

Rust orange wall oven is no longer.
In case you are curious. Tappan wall ovens from the 60's are HEAVY! Josh was proud of me that I was able to help him lift it. I'm glowing with personal satisfaction. Now that we have the appliances out, the remainder of the cabinets should be pretty easy. We'll need to be patient with the upper cabinet that has the hood attached. There is some electrical there and we'll have a big hole in the ceiling where it vents into the attic. Haven't figured that one out just yet, might wait for Uncle Sean. And by the way Sean, our workspace is very clean, I do in fact vacuum with the shop vac and my regular vacuums every night when we are done. I also dispose of any waste we created.

I grew up doing projects with my mom, can you tell?

No comments:

Post a Comment