Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Philly Steak Sandwiches

A friend at work said he read my blog, I said "My blog?! It's kinda girly." He said "Yes, can you make a manly stew or something?" So here is my attempt to man things up a little.

I originally found this recipe on thenest.com (not manly). Turns out it's really good! Similar in style to the pepperoncini beef sammies I posted a couple of weeks ago.
(professional photo)

Philly Steak Sandwich
Serves: 4
Ingredients
1 pound boneless beef sirloin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and thinly sliced
1/4 pound Swiss or provolone cheese, thinly sliced
4 soft hoagie rolls, split
Directions
1. Put the steak in the freezer for 30 to 45 minutes to firm up a bit; this makes it easier to slice very thinly. Using a sharp knife or meat slicer, shave the beef into ultra-thin slices, and then flatten it using a meat pounder.
2. In a bowl, combine the steak slices with the salt, pepper, paprika, and chili, onion, and garlic powders. Toss with your hands to coat evenly. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes or up to 2 hours.
3. Heat a cast-iron skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. When the pan or griddle is hot, add the oil, onions, and bell peppers. Cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Push the vegetables off to one side of the pan.
4. Add the meat, chopping it up a bit with tongs, and cook and stir until almost no longer pink, about 2 minutes. Mix the vegetables back in and toss to combine with the meat. Divide the steak mixture into 4 long mounds in the pan or on the griddle, lay the cheese on top, and cook for 1 minute longer to melt the cheese. Pile the cheesy meat mixture into the warm rolls and serve immediately.

I modified it this week to try it in the crock pot. I used the same ingredients except I substituted the sirloin (manly) for a round roast (manly). I threw everything in before I left for work and when I came home it looked like this:

(my amateur photo)
I should have put the veggies in for the last few hours instead of the whole day but that was not an option for me. When we were ready to eat I put the meat on a hoagie bun with a piece of cheese and put it in the microwave for about 20 seconds.  I served this with cheesy potatoes (Josh's request) but they turned out weird this time and since I have the best cheesy potato recipe ever I refuse to show the dismal result. I'll do the cheesy taters justice in a future blog post!

No comments:

Post a Comment