Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Chicken Fingers made healthy

This recipe has all of the special qualities I look for: ingredients I am familiar with, healthy alternative to a classic favorite, fits easily into a weeknight schedule.

I found this recipe from a blog I came across while searching for new recipes. I'm pleased to share this recipe with my friends. I do think this will be especially good for those with pint sized picky eaters in the house.

What you'll need
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts pounded and cut into strips (I used the chicken tenders, half the work was already done)
1 cup low fat buttermilk (I made my own by using a Tablespoon of lemon juice and a cup of milk)
Hot sauce to taste (I used about 5 or 6 shakes)
1 cup bread crumbs (I used Italian)

Mix the buttermilk and hot sauce in shallow dish. Put the chicken in buttermilk mixture and place in fridge for 1 hour.


 Preheat oven to 450* and warm a baking sheet
Pour breadcrumbs in a shallow dish
Remove chicken from buttermilk mixture and coat with breadcrumbs
Remove the baking sheet from the oven and coat with non stick spray. Place chicken on baking sheet. Bake for 6 minutes; flip and bake until golden brown which is about another 6 minutes.
 I paired them with tater tots because I had some and it sounded like a good match. I'm sure they'd be good in a salad, served with veggies, or served as a sandwich.


I think I need to work on my photography skills...  Anyway, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment