Sunday, February 27, 2011

Apple Flax Muffins

By the title I know you have a raised eyebrow.  They're actually pretty good, especially if you are trying to eat healthy. They make a decent snack or breakfast.  A little back story, last year I did the 10 Day Detox Diet with my friends Pete and Katie.  This works great and if you want more details let me know. On that diet no carbs or sugary foods allowed. This was tough cold turkey. These muffins were considered a treat for me. I actually made them twice through the course of my 10 days because I shared them with some folks. They're baaack!  No I'm not doing the Detox again, just trying to eat healthy.  If you're a Weight Watchers person this might equal 2 points.

Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes

Ingredients
1 and 1/4 cup flax seed meal (or bran meal)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
Artificial sweetener equal to 3/4 cup sugar
4 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup liquid (flavored syrup or water)
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 medium apple, chopped very finely
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional and I dont do this)
Preheat oven to 350* F. Grease a 12-muffin tin very well
Mix the dry ingredients together then add the rest
Let batter stand 10 minutes, then put into the muffin pan and bake for about 18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean and muffins just barely start to pull away from the sides of the tin.

Nutritional info: Each muffin contains 2 grams carbs plus 5 grams fiber.
This picture is stolen from allrecipes.com because I didn't get a good picture of mine...

No comments:

Post a Comment