Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Enchiladas made easy

I got this recipe from my sister in law who got it off the side of the Old El Paso enchilada sauce can. It is so easy and so good.  For example, on Monday I got home from work around 5:30 and by 6:08 I had fed the dog, let him out, cleaned up the kitchen, made the enchiladas, and cleaned up the dishes. Just in time to change and get out the door for Zumba class. Josh turned on the oven about 20 minutes before I got home, popped these suckers in and they voila! Hot, fresh, and delicious.
Here's how it's done.

2 cans enchilada sauce
1 lb ground meat (I've used turkey and beef, both are good)
10 taco size tortillas (not the big ones for fajitas or whatever)
1 packet taco seasoning
1.5 cups of shredded cheese (Mexican mix)
Salsa, sour cream, guacamole, hot sauce or whatever suits your fancy

Grab a can of your favorite enchilada sauce (mild, medium, hot, pick your poison)
Read the back and follow instructions but I do make a couple modifications so here's how I do it:
Brown the meat and drain
Add taco seasoning per instructions on packet
Add in 3/4 can of enchilada sauce and 3/4 cup of cheese and stir
Lightly grease a rectangular baking dish (I use the one size smaller than 9x13 because the little shells fit well).
Spoon meat mixture onto shell one by one. Roll shell around meat. Place in dish.

Pour over remaining enchilada sauce and cheese.
Bake at 350* for about 20-30 minutes or until the shells just begin to brown.
Tip for saving for later: I don't recommend pouring the enchilada sauce and cheese over before freezing or storing in the fridge. Do this right before you put them in the oven so the shells aren't soggy.

Enjoy!

PS. We often pair this with margaritas

1 comment:

  1. Erin, these look SO good! I love enchiladas. Might give it a try this week...

    ReplyDelete